Montreal Places of Worship & Religious Sites
Saint Joseph's Oratory is located in the Mount Royal sector of Montreal. A notable feature of the basilica is its massive dome. In 1989, it was used as a backdrop in the movie, Jesus of Montreal.
This Gothic revival style basilica was designated a historic monument by the Quebec Government in December of 1985. Its construction and history is closely connected to the Irish Canadian community in Montreal.
This is one of the largest churches on the continent, and is truly worth a visit. The church has one of the world's largest pipe organs and a carillon in one tower and a huge bell in the other. Guided tours are available.
Consecrated in 1894, the Cathedrale Marie-Reine du Monde was built as a smaller replica of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. While not as impressive as the original, this cathedral, which includes a 76 m (252 ft) dome, is nonetheless worth a visit.
Located in the heart of downtown, this religious heritage building is a listed National Historic Site and features Victorian neo-gothic and medieval French cathedral architecture with an Akron-style interior. In addition to the regular congregational worship, the church is host to many cultural celebrations, concerts and festivals.
The original version of this Anglican church was constructed in 1814 but burned down in 1856. The present neo-gothic structure, which features a 38 m (127 ft) steeple and stained glass windows, was completed in 1859. Visitors may tour the cathedral and then go shopping in the underground mall located beneath the building.
Located in Montreal's Little Italy adjacent to the popular Dante Park, this place of worship was built in 1919 and features impressive frescoes and an altar and balustrade made of Carrara marble. In addition to regular worship, youth services and special events are held at the church
Sunday Morning service and worship, Wednesday evening Bible studies, Children's program on Sunday Mornings, Premarriage and marriage counseling, Radio ministry with WCHP760am at 11am Mon through Fri
Popular among visitors and pilgrims, Notre Dame de Bonsecours was first built in 1657 by Marguerite Bourgeoys. Today's current building was constructed over the ruins of the first stone chapel in 1771. The church has a peaceful atmosphere and is simply decorated yet elegant.
Built in 1870, this church is located on the corner of Peel Street and de La Gauchetière Street West. Visitors can admire the neo-Gothic design, walking through an arched doorway to a woodwork interior.